Thursday, September 8, 2011

First Vision

As I have pondered about the first vision this week I am in awe of how important this single event truly is to the world. In 1820 the fourteen-year-old Joseph Smith went into a grove of trees in Palmyra New York and prayed to find out what church to join and the answer to his prayer was the appearance of God the Father and Jesus Christ telling him to join none of them. What a profound experience that must have been for the future prophet. I can hardly imagine the great responsibility that came when they called Joseph to restore his church again on the earth. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God just like Adam, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and Paul. He owned up to his experience and lived a life of persecution and trials.

This summer I was able to visit the sacred grove where Joseph saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. I didn’t need to go to the sacred grove to gain a testimony of Joseph’s experience because I had already received it. Yet, being there confirmed what I already knew. As I walked through the grove of trees I felt that I was in a holy place. It felt as though I were in the temple. I took time to pray the God and thank him for the opportunity to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I also recommitted myself to being a better person. Even though I did not see God the Father and Jesus Christ – I still know they exist. They love me and I feel their guiding hand in my life.

I have also been pondering about the many experiences I had on my mission of sharing the first vision with people not of my faith. Countless times I felt such a strong out pouring of the Holy Ghost as I told people that Joseph saw the Father and the Son. I long to tell people this wonderful message that God and Christ live, that the heavens are open again, and that we have a prophet on the earth in our day!

No comments: