Thursday, February 12, 2009

TRIALS

C.S. Lewis, in Mere Christianity writes, "Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what he is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is he up to? The explanation is that he is building quite a different house from the one you thought of — throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but he is building up a palace. He intends to come and live in it himself."

I felt I should include this quote for someone today but I don't know who. 

Not all trials come from God or because we did anything wrong. I am starting to realize more and more that everyday brings new challenges. I am starting to enjoy them. Sure there are times when I would love a break from different trials but really there isn't going to be rest. This concept has taken me years to swallow! Can't I just be content for awhile, I mean I am doing good things and I'm a good person so I deserve to have it a little easy for a while, right? Though this is an over simplification and not always my desires, I think at the same time we all question trials or at lest hope to have a little less. Yet be can benefit immensely from these experiences. My dad always used to say at the right times, "it builds character." I have been thinking about this a lot lately! What kind of character do I want, I want to be like the Savior. The Savior traveled in his ministry for 3 years. He bore persecution, false accusations, trial, torture, agonizing death on the cross, betrayal, suffering for all mankind for their sins but also emotionally, physically, and mentally. The more I think about him the more I realize that it wasn't easy for him and I can expect it wont be easy for me and mine are nothing in comparison. Trials are real, they suck, they are intense, they can change our future, they are in every sense undesirable. I emphasis this before I make my next point - This phrase has stuck with me, "when you come to an obstacle in the road it can either become a stumbling block or a stepping stone." The phrase use to bother me, and I think because in some sense it doesn't validate how difficult trials can be. I think rather than a stepping stone its more like a mountain or a cliff that we must rock clime. As we are grasping and precariously finding out next footing we are developing muscles along the way. We also have divine help! Someone to support us when we fall. As we have studied the the Doctrine and Covenants it is very clear that Joseph Smith endured many trials. He was falsely accused and was in liberty jail (most ironic name for a jail), the saints were being driven from Missouri. The lord spoke to Joseph and said, "My Son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high" (Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-8) I love these verses. I think that God always wants us to be at peace. WIll we though? No, and we need to learn and have our comfort zones stretch. I know that I am a better person because of the challenges and experiences in my life. I look to God with faith as I endure well the future trials of my life. To all those that are overwhelmed - feel the peace and joy that God is willing to give. 


1 comment:

Kristine said...

<-- Twas for me dear sir. Thanks for sharing, hope all is well.