Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Student's life of Study: College and Faith

This is a picture of campus during the winter at Brigham Young University where I am currently attending. The semester is a month in now; therefore, all my teachers decided to give midterms early at the same exact time! I had a take home test and Presentation for Biology, Doctrine and Covenants essays, Humanities test and paper, and the dreaded Calculus test. Luckily, I get to take my Economic midterm in a week. This past week seemed so packed with things to do and I started to feel the a little stress as I allocated my precious time to different activities. I know this isn't new for me or any student but I learned a lot from this past week. First, its alright to have some fun. I went to my nephew's birthday party and enjoyed the liveliness of youth and the love of family. I also took Stephanie ice skating in Salt Lake and not only was it romantic - it was a blast. Don't get me wrong, I didn't play all weekend. I worked my tail off. I don't even think I have a tail anymore. Life just seems to be this constant battle for balance. I sure hope I can figure it out...

During this crazy midterm week of studying I a have thought a lot about study in general and how it applies to academics and religion. I was reading Doctrine and Covenants Section 109 this week and this is the text of the dedication of the Kirtland Temple (picture in last weeks blog). I love verse 7: "and all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom, seek learning even by study and also by faith;" As I read this I felt again the importance of studying in college. I know that all I am learning is making me better, even though memorizing greek art doesn't seem all that pertinent. To continue in verse 8: "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing, and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God." Even though these words are directed to the Kirtland Temple, this is what I am striving for in my apartment. This is what I want my future home to be! Another though has been on my mind regarding the importance of obtaining knowledge. I know that there are absolute truths in the world. Many people however don't feel this way and I respect their believes. I have come to know that there is a God. This started as faith and grew till I knew. My desire is to continue to learn truth as I study about the world around us and as I learn spiritually. The scriptures teach that we will not take our earthly possessions with us. He do know that we can be with our families for eternity. We also know that we will be able to take the intelligence (knowledge) that we have gained, D&C130:18-19. This puts a greater perspective on the importance of learning. To myself and to all those students out there - Hang in there! 

No comments: